Ace Forum

Angels of Revolution - This is a strange but utterly compelling film, every shot a beautiful work of art in itself, bitterly funny, in which director Aleksey Fedorchenko fondly mocks a group of arrogant, wildly ideological artists engaged on a mission to Sovietise fringe ethnic groups in Siberia.  Inevitably it all ends in tragedy, much like the entire Communist project, but it's profoundly sad because these zealous idealists had such good intentions.

tumblr_pp198t6Yuh1tj7adeo2_1280.png

tumblr_pp198t6Yuh1tj7adeo4_1280.png

tumblr_pp198t6Yuh1tj7adeo3_1280.png

tumblr_pp198t6Yuh1tj7adeo1_1280.png

9/10

1 minute ago, OIly said:

Angels of Revolution - This is a strange but utterly compelling film, every shot a beautiful work of art in itself, bitterly funny, in which director Aleksey Fedorchenko fondly mocks a group of arrogant, wildly ideological artists engaged on a mission to Sovietise fringe ethnic groups in Siberia.  Inevitably it all ends in tragedy, much like the entire Communist project, but it's profoundly sad because these zealous idealists had such good intentions.

tumblr_pp198t6Yuh1tj7adeo2_1280.png

tumblr_pp198t6Yuh1tj7adeo4_1280.png

tumblr_pp198t6Yuh1tj7adeo3_1280.png

tumblr_pp198t6Yuh1tj7adeo1_1280.png

9/10

This was very good. I took away one bag of popcorn because of too many cats, but I added it back on because of the Dachshund and the thereming

Nightmare - This had it all, gaslighting, gaslighters getting gaslit, creepy racist dolls, Chekhov's cake-knife, shadows, shadows everywhere, like a completely daft Hitchcock with less subtlety and lots and lots more extraordinary overacting.  FUN.  6/10

Once upon a time in Hollywood

QT never lets you down does he? so this is like a fictional account of what could have led up to the Manson murders yeah? I was getting strong Burt Reynolds vibes from DiCap's character although he might've been a bit young at the time for the faded western star, anywhoo, good film, QT has a real knack of pulling you into a film and making time fly by, nice build to a big final scene with some epic head smashing, and the carrot is left dangling, 7.5/10

On 28/11/2019 at 8:58 AM, Zaireeka said:

The Report - Iraq war torture report procedural drama, once it got up and running i felt reasonably gripped but as is always the case with these kinds of films it's really hard to find a way to tell the story without just getting the characters to exposit the story so the first third of it was SO clunky with all the characters basically going "so remind me why this thing happened again?" every five mins. Not uninteresting though because I think this whole story kind of passed me by in real life and sometimes you forget that none of this shit comes out if people don't fight for it. 6/10

this is already on Amo-P!  watched the other night, thought Adam Driver was brilliant as usual and in fact the entire cast was pretty strong but on the whole it was quite perfunctory.  Was absolutely appalled by all the Marilyn Manson though, just disgusting.  Gonna give it the same as you, 7.5/10

22 hours ago, Zaireeka said:

Knives Out - Prettttty daft whodunnit with a ridiculous cast considering its relatively limited budget made by the guy who did Brick and some other stuff, could have been annoying (especially Craig playing the least believable detective from the deep south since Michael Scott in that episode of the office) but was actually extremely entertaining. 8/10

absolutely bloody loved it, it IS daft but it's so tightly and intricately scripted!  Every time I came up with a theory it was immediately confounded, every time I drew a conclusion about a character it was immediately refuted, I was even expecting another twist just as the film was ending.  Ana de Armas's character was given four different nationalities and I laughed harder and harder every time, it was absolutely hilarious throughout but never let you forget the gravity of the scenario.  A fair bit of social commentary then, but it didn't overshadow the mystery, and everyone in it played their part to perfection.  SO MUCH going on.  I'll go with the same rating as you and give it 9.5/10

I Lost My Body - a French animation in which a severed hand goes on a journey to reunite with its owner, which is also a touching romance, and a terribly sad tragedy.  I really thought this was very good indeed if it did drag at times.  The English dub, which I settled on, is voiced by Dev Patel and Alia Shawkat, both of whom I admire greatly.  A really moving and quite unique film.  8/10

A brand new release but on Netties right now.

OUT OF THE PAST (aka BUILD MY GALLOWS HIGH) (1947, dir: Jacques Tourneur) Star Angster Bob @Mitchum plays a formerly amoral PI trying to go straight with his gal in nowhere USA when his shady history rocks up at the door of his repairs workshop.

outofthepast1.jpg

Quality noir flick. Mitchum's old antagonist is Kirk Douglas and the two ricochet off each other; Mitchum in a former life was hired by Douglas, an amoral gambler, to find the dame (Jane Greer) who shot him and ran away. He tracks her down to Mexico and predictably falls for her; in one scene laden with symbolism, they kiss in a storm.

The story is being told to Mitchum's missus in the present as he's driving to his doom. Then it twists - the woman he tracked down fled, and went back to the gambler and now they're trying to cross Mitchum in the present...only he might not figure this out until it's too late. It's classic existentialist fare - a man must reconcile with what he's done, and get the innocents (his current partner and a strange deaf-mute who works at his garage) out of harm's way too. 

It's no Double Indemnity and Tourneur is no Billy Wilder, but it's a good taut film. 8

About Schmidt

Ive seen scraps of this previously.. My dad was shocked by it, the wife dying "she dies!". I suppose it would affect him more than me. Good characters, the awful people are all sufficiently awful and the human desperation is sufficiently desperate. I didnt feel alot of sympathy for Schmidt, as puffed up and nibbled by lostness as anyone else in the film. Still it was nice and grey and slow and amusing, like the town where Schmidts whole life happened without him realising. 7/10.

Black Coal, Thin Ice (2014) 

Chinese noir that left me baffled. Pacing was so off I stopped caring half-way through and it seemed stuck between wanting to be both 1940s Hollywood noir  and modern social realist. 

Worth seeing for the cinematography and/or something to fall asleep to.