Ace Forum

Think Cuppa nailed Attack of the Cones there - Phantom Menace is the more boring film but AotC is more of an incoherent mess, both equally cringeworthy at their worst. Must admit I did like the bit where the clone wars all kicks off because I thought the designs of some of the ships/walkers were quite cool but yeah the more you think about it the more crap stuff you remember.

It's absolutely bizarre that they've skipped the two sequels to Girl and gone to a book that Larsson didn't write and was critically panned.  it's going to be shit.

10 minutes ago, Axlotl said:

@Zaireeka You going to watch 'The Girl In The Spiders Web'? Bit curious to whether they can pull it off without Fincher in the directors chair, he's executive producing.

Never seen any of the other ones so absolutely cannot wait.

4 minutes ago, Zaireeka said:

Never seen any of the other ones so absolutely cannot wait.

the Swedish ones were really grim and I enjoyed them.  The Fincher one was fine bcs Fincher but didn't add anything at ALL.  There's a huge conspiracy that doesn't get uncovered until the second and third ones, that's why I can't understand why they didn't remake those ones first if they wanted to make money.

1 minute ago, Olly said:

It's absolutely bizarre that they've skipped the two sequels to Girl and gone to a book that Larsson didn't write and was critically panned.  it's going to be shit.

Heard on the grapevine that Danny Craig & Rooney Mara weren't interested cause Fincher wasn't directing. Which kind of blows really. I enjoyed GWDT, not sure why its took seven years to make another.

Widows - Not seen one negative review for this so I am definitely going to look a bit well 'ard when I say that I thought it was absolutely rubbish. Really expected a LOT more from the man who made Hunger (Hunger ffs!). OK it's a heist movie and not meant to be massively realistic or anything and I'm always willing to take films on their own terms (which is why I actually really enjoyed the last mission impossible) but this did not work on those terms at all. The sort of film that only makes sense if you spend literally not a second thinking about why anything is happening because none of the characters motivations make any sense at all (wouldn't even say there were any properly defined characters, they were all pure cyphers for the story) so it's not clear why anyone is doing anything that they're doing, and some of the plot points are just totally lol. Still, on the plus side at least Liam Neeson wasn't in it much. 3/10

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - new coen brothers film made up of six short stories, all of them set in the American West in the 1880s.. some better than others but none of them not good (except maybe the last one which was just ok). Tom Waits was brilliant in his one. You can probably file this under the dictionary definition of v enjoyable fluff and for that reason I will give it a 7.5/10

36 minutes ago, Zaireeka said:

Widows - Not seen one negative review for this so I am definitely going to look a bit well 'ard when I say that I thought it was absolutely rubbish. Really expected a LOT more from the man who made Hunger (Hunger ffs!). OK it's a heist movie and not meant to be massively realistic or anything and I'm always willing to take films on their own terms (which is why I actually really enjoyed the last mission impossible) but this did not work on those terms at all. The sort of film that only makes sense if you spend literally not a second thinking about why anything is happening because none of the characters motivations make any sense at all (wouldn't even say there were any properly defined characters, they were all pure cyphers for the story) so it's not clear why anyone is doing anything that they're doing, and some of the plot points are just totally lol. Still, on the plus side at least Liam Neeson wasn't in it much. 3/10

that's this evening's plan out the window then

9 minutes ago, GUBE said:

that's this evening's plan out the window then

Hah don't listen to me (necessarily)! I'm a right miserable twat! Proper confused how not one reviewer has slagged this off tho, not even Slant and they slag off basically EVERYTHING (that isn't a b&w macedonian documentary about turnip farming)